Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Rylander 7.2

I've been working on the next hard copy edition of The Rylander. I have some new subscribers and am planning on making a big issue this time. There'll be lots to talk about. The international reaction to My Name is Buddy, some reviews of Mavis Staples CD, pictures from Vincent Valdez (the artist who illustrated Buddy and provided drawings for Chavez Ravine) and lots of other stuff too. I may include a review of Ron Sexsmith live, and some recommendations for new DVDs. If there are any Paul Rodgers fans out there...his Live in Glasgow is a good one. Rodgers has one of rock's finest voices, and a masterful stage presence. His band is hot, led by ex-Heart guitarist Howard Leese.
I've been listening to Richard Thompson's Sweet Warrior CD again, and to T Bone Burnett's Proof Through the Night. Enjoying both of them. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Corey Harris's forthcoming reggae album, Zion Crossroads. Neat title...note how it captures both the reggae and blues aspects of Harris ouevre! Why, it even hints at some African roots!
There's a new series of collections issued by Universal Music called Number 1's. All different editions, but I have '70s SOUL, which features one of my favourite tracks of all time. Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up, part 1" is a song which I love to play in the car, cranked up loud. It's sexy and funky, and makes me want to drive with the wind blowing through my hair. Unfortunately this is impossible for me so wind blowing over my scalp just has to do!
The rest of the tracks on the album are not bad either. Parliament, James Brown, Dianna Ross, Rick James, Rufus, Peaches & Herb. A nice bunch of Number 1's indeed.
Oh, and that Bachman-Cummings CD is another good one for the car!

No comments: