Thursday, March 10, 2011

Beatles 45s...


Lets start with this one. The flipside of "HELP!" and one of the highlights of Beatles' 45s. My recollection of hearing this for the first time is that I couldn't believe the Beatles could rock that hard for nearly 2 minutes. It is still an amazing track filled with energy, brimmming with youthful enthusiasm. Paul's "Little Richard" tribute remains one of my all-time fave tracks. The live version from Shea Stadium is good too, as is the cover version Adrian Belew did later, but for my money it's all right here, 2 minutes and 30 seconds of rockin' beauty!

"Hey Jude" backed with "Revolution" is another of the greatest singles ever released by the best band ever. Sure "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" was great, but "Hey Jude" is a watermark among songs, and history making in its length (and the fact that it got played on commercial radio.) Nowadays with subscription radio you get spoiled, turn the dial and you can listen to anything you want. Name it, it's there. Back in the day...it was CKOC (The Busy Bee) spinnin' the hits. I bought "Hey Jude" the day of release. Took it home and played it. Then turned it over and played "Revolution", back over for "Hey Jude", and over again, and so on. Til Mom said, "Enough...time to go to school." We were on shifts at the time so I didn't have to go in til after lunch! This is still one of my favourite songs, and maybe my favourite 45.

"Get Back" b/w "Don't Let Me Down" comes a close second though. Mil and I played "Don't Let Me Down" at a school talent show, on acoustic guitars, emoting like crazy. That's why the song means so much to me, I guess. A fabulous single though.

No comments: