Thursday, May 3, 2007

listening to Mavis...

I waited a week for it to arrive, but it was worth it. I managed to get one of the hundred signed copies of We'll Never Turn Back! You can see it on this page. On first listen it's completely hypnotic! I love it. Ry plays greazy slide guitar (and some dandy mandolin too) and the great Jim Keltner keeps the beat. But it's the vocals that really make this album. Mavis is in fine voice, and the backup singers (including Ladysmith Black Mambazo!) recreate an era when the Staples Singers recorded their first few albums. When Mavis appeared on Leno last week she sounded like she had a cold, and her guitarist delivered a rough approximation of RPC's guitar part but she still delivered a stunning performance. The CD does it much better though. Too bad the Apollo shows have been cancelled. Poor ticket sales!?! I'd have gone, had it been a little closer. OK I saw Buddy Guy last month for $60, and tonight's Ron Sexsmith show was only $30, but this was to be a sterling evening of exquisite virtuosity. Too bad! As long as Mavis let's her light shine like she does on WNTB I'll be keeping my eyes on her! (Also, you might check out Pops Staples 2 solo albums...funky stuff!)

No comments: